As Emzie and Shane were getting ready to head out the door to walk to school, Emzie was complaining because she wanted to play on the computer and when i stated that she chose to eat her breakfast for 40 minutes that didn't leave her anytime to play on the computer, she started to get upset and whine, and then the words came: " you're right you have such a hard life, forget the kids in Haiti that have been trapped in homes and schools for 3 days with no water, you getting no computer time is the worst thing ever."
Back in my day the whole statement of " starving kids in Africa" was the line used by parents to make us feel guilty for our waste and selfish behavior, and in less then 3 days i have turned the horrible devastation of Haiti into a tool of guilt.
It's days like these that i am thankful that Our God is not a God of " I told you so's" but a God of (especially in my case) MERCY.
Sweet Mercy. I love that word. On the days where i would be thinking to myself about others " foolish mortal" My God is saying: " Child, that's not a good way. You are better then this. You can try again. I know you can do this and do it this time with MY Love."
I don't know why my brain tends to go to the guilt and manipulative ways first, but I pray that I will start to choose grace and mercy instead. And soon.
I battle with this. How can I so easily forget God's grace and mercy in my own life?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder.
I just discovered your blog, and after reading your posts, I feel the urge to tell you: keep writing. You have an honest, beautiful way of reflecting God's heart and our human condition. You're not alone in these struggles...and may encourage others (myself included) to have courage to open up and seek the love that only the our God, our Father can give.
ReplyDeleteYou are gifted in putting your heart on "paper." Please keep going.
I have used the 'Haiti guilt trip' on my kids. More than once. And I'll probably do it again. Someday I hope to take my kids to "The Other Side of the World" (as Rich Mullins puts it) and they will see for themselves. Perspective is priceless.
ReplyDelete